Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Princess for a Day :)

It’s my berfday :)

Okay, maybe not today, exactly, but it is this week. And I can assure you: I am NOT one of those women who dreads the turning of one year older, and I doubt I ever will be. For me, is the perfect time to wallow in self-indulgence, to accept as many good wishes as those around me see fit to give, and to eat whatever the heck I want (read: Japanese Steak house).

When I was little, we may not have had a whole lot, but that doesn’t means we couldn’t put together a mean birthday celebration. The day would start with exuberant birthday greetings, at which time it would be announced that today was Erin’s day, and whatever I wanted goes. Being the youngest of three, I looked forward to this day allll year. The ability to trump any of my brother’s and sister’s wishes? Brilliant!

As silly as it may seem, perhaps the best and most loved tradition of all was the ability to choose my cereal of choice. I have mentioned before how my mother was careful to feed us only the most nutritious, wholesome foods when we were little, so this little luxury was of utmost importance. We each had one shot—one!—to choose our junk cereal for the year, and I agonized over choosing just the right one. Fruity Pebbles? Lucky Charms? Trix or, heaven forbid, Cookie Crisp? No, even I, at the tender age of 7, couldn’t bring myself to choose the last one. I think those magically delicious freeze-dried marshmallows that wily leprechaun peddled won out most years.

After a big bowl of sugary goodness, I’d get a special lunch with a sweet note tucked in by my parents for later discovery. I’d float through the day in a haze of happiness, proud to wear whatever construction paper crown or gaily colored sticker my teachers deemed appropriate for the beaming birthday girl.

Once home, it was party time. My favorite dinner would be prepared, the China would be laid, and I would avail myself to the place of honor at the head of the table. I’d revel in whatever decorations had been hung—the age old, plastic Happy Birthday banner, various colored crepe paper streamers, and the ubiquitous balloons. I’d ohh and ahh at the bouquet of flowers my father would offer, and squeal with delight when at last the cake my mother prepared would be laid before me.

The candles would be lit, the lights turned back, and every person present would belt out the birthday song with absolutely no regard for harmony or pitch. I would tear into the offered presents with abandon, squealing with glee with each newly revealed treasure. A Barbie here, a book there, none were expensive but all were prized, accepted with all the fervor and excitement of a Nobel Peace Prize.

The coup de grace would come last: the ability to choose the TV programs for the evening. Oh, the extravagance! After being princess for a day, I would climb sleepily into bed, grinning goofily for all the joys the day had brought.

I’m happy to say that that pleasure has never diminished. After realizing how much birthdays meant to me, my hubby has gone out of his way to help me celebrate in style over the years. Since I am heading to see my sister this year for my birthday, he surprised me last night when I got home from work at 10:30. For the few hours we shared before bed, he lavished me with all my favorite things: Grilled steak, roasted potato, and sautéed kale dinner, a homemade cake with icing he made using my own recipe, a perfect little pint of Haagen Dazs, a glorious bouquet of flowers, and—last but certainly not least—a wonderful present that I had seen weeks ago and had dearly wanted.

Here’s to spending simple birthdays, celebrating with the small but wonderfully delightful treats that are from the heart, and sharing that special day with those we love. I wish for all of you the same joy and celebration on your own birthday as I have always been blessed to have on mine.

Cheers!

18 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to you, Erin. I'm with you. I don't dread birthdays. Who cares if I'm a year older? Certainly not me. And yay for getting that special present.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since your birth date is not on Facebook, may I wish you Happy Birthday today and the rest of the week! At my old office, we had a birthday week celebration. The birthday girl (as it was all women) would get a small token each day of the week leading up to Friday (even if the birthday was a Monday). On Friday of the birthday week, lunch was bought for the birthday girl and cake and the luxury of leaving an hour early. It was so nice. SO here's to you Erin! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a great birthday week!

    My memories of birthdays with the family include a decadent chocolate, homemade cake from my mom. Usually my dad treated me and the whole family to a restaurant of my choice, too! We were not as well-off as some people, so these two pleasures were definitely the best parts of the year.

    Nowadays my hubby makes a homemade, candlelit dinner and takes me to get desert. The opposite, but still just as perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday! Your enthusiasm is so infectious, it feels like you're sharing your special day with all of us. :)

    I decided a few years ago that one day was not enough, so I have a whole birthday MONTH! I highly recommend it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy B-day, EK! Yep. If I remember correctly your mom bought Grape Nuts for y'all to eat? At least I think she did in PTC.

    My oldest is turning 9 on Friday and has requested chocolate cake with strawberry frosting so I am going to be searching your blog for a recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, BookGeek, both your past and your present birthdays sound wonderful!! Its wonderful to have such great memories while continuing to set new traditions :) Thanks for stopping by!!


    Donna, I think I may have to take you up on your genius 'birthday month' idea, lol!! Why on earth didn't I think of that??? Thanks for the birthday wishes :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm, Lisa, your son has great taste! I'll have to get my strawberry recipe posted soon. And good memory - grape nuts were definitely a regular fixture in our pantry :) Thanks so much for dropping by!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday. I hope you made some cupcakes.

    I never cared much about Birthdays until I hit 33. For some reason that one day hit me harder than others.

    As my next milestone approaches, I'm anticipating problems when I turn 40 in a few years. My mom is 40 not me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for dropping in, Beth!! I can see how the more candles are on the cake, the more daunting the birthday can be, but hopefully you will be able to celebrate, no matter the number. It is weird when you reach the age you remember your mother being!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Catherine! Glad to know there are other birthday lovers out there enjoying each one to the fullest :)


    Rhonda, I think your company had the right idea!! I love celebrating birthweeks, especially when they end in cake and time off work! Thanks so much for the birthday wishes :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yep, our family certainly does birthdays right:) I have often been astounded when people bemoan their coming birthdays -- I look forward to it all year long -- maybe not the number -- but definitely the extravagance of a whole day doing only what we most love to do. Princess for a day indeed! Happy birthday, little sister, I can't wait to spend it with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday Erin--sounds like you have started your birthday week off wonderfully. Have fun with your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're blog was hilarious and sweet. I like the idea of the birthday person at the head of the table. I know my kids would lahve it!

    So, Happy Birthday a day earlier fellow Januarite We are an exceptional collection of people or should I say eccentric?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Please excuse the you're...my minions are messing with the keybfdgah

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Beth! It was a wonderful birthday - and a wonderful trip! Thanks for thinking of me :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOL Marquita, I'll let the keyboard minions slide - only because our birthdays are so close :) I hope your b-day was as wonderful as mine!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hope you had a WONDERFUL birthday! I can't believe I missed it given I'm the queen of birthdays. :-( I hope you had a magical day full of blessings, gifts, and cherished moments of sweetness knowing that you rule the world (or at least the remote and menu) for a day. Love you Erin!

    ReplyDelete