Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Name Game

A rose by any other name… would sound kind of strange. This, my dear Cake Readers, is a lesson I have learned over the past four days. Why? Because I made the unwelcome discovery that Erin Kelly is published by Penguin… and I don’t mean me. Oh, no. My name—the one I’ve had since birth—was suddenly mine no more.

Tragic, I know.

But it could be fun to come up a new name, right? You would think, but no, actually, it was most certainly not. It was basically me, emailing every contact I have, saying “How about this one? What do you think of this one?” In summary, I made a pest out of myself.

I may have even become a little obsessed. At work, I thumbed idly through the customer database, whispering my first name with the last name candidates. I pulled out my yearbook, trolled websites, and even unearthed the phonebook. On Saturday, Kirk and I went to see Harry Potter, and as the credits rolled, so did my husband’s eyes—he must have heard me fitting “Erin” in front of the names as they scrolled. (Well they were British names, after all!)

The obsessing didn’t stop there. I pulled out a notebook and began signing different names, I opened Word and typed them in pretty fonts. I went to the bookstore and researched what author I’d be next to on the shelves if I chose one name or another. I shot still more emails to my poor crit group getting opinions.

The problem was—nothing felt right. None of these were me. It felt like such a huge decision. I would be known by this name indefinitely, after all! My books would always be somewhere, touting the name decided on this weekend. I went to bed last night worrying about it, and managed to even dream about it.

It wasn’t until this morning that I took a deep, long breath and realized: Shakespeare was right. A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet. An author by any other name would still write just as well.

And an Erin by any other name would still be me :) So, without further ado, allow me to reintroduce myself, dear Cake Readers.

Erin Knightley, at your service.

What can I say? If it was good enough for Jane Austen, than it’s good enough for me :)

So, if you were in my shoes and had to choose a new name for yourself, what would it be?

22 comments:

  1. Umm, well I've picked two names and even paid for the domain names to keep them as .coms because my name was used by someone else and I ended up with a .net for my website.

    My two names:

    Irene Bruce - These were family names which were not used for our kids.

    Nicole Graysen - Random names I liked.

    I don't know if I'll ever publish under them...but they are mine for the time being.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure what I would name myself. Sometimes I think about it but I don't want to think too hard until I actually sell a book. Too much thinking now makes me afraid I'm jinxing it, ya know?

    But I love your new name and your nod to Austen. Mr. Knightley's one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it. Sounds a little like Keira Knightly -- the actress. And isn't she gorgeous and rich? That's something to aspire to. ;)

    As for me, Aimee Laine IS my pen name but I have a YA pen name too tat I am considering dropping. It's Emi Gayle. Haven't yet decided if I will use it professionally or not. :)

    Glad your obsession got you to an answer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your new name. Loved your "old" one too! It's great that you found one that suits you.

    I would be the author formerly known as Marquita Valentine. That would work, right?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! And congrats no matter what your name ends up being. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL Beth - I love that you have two other names waiting in the wings :) And I like them - especially the Nicole Graysen one!


    Marnee, I wouldn't worry about it unless you have to. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say your name is pretty darn unique, lol! Thanks for stopping by - so glad that you liked my choice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like both your pen names, Aimee! It's so nice to have the other one just in case. That way, you are already used to it if you end up needing it :)


    "The Author Formerly Known as Marquita Valentine" - hahahaha! I love it! And just think how much fun the cover artist could have working that onto the cover :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why thank you, Sonja!! I'm just glad to have the decision over and done with. Thanks so much for dropping by!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Knightley has to be one of my favorite Austen names. :) Congrats, Ms. Knightley! And it will look lovely on a book cover. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much, Catherine! I certainly hope so - let's hope I can stifle the urge to stand over the calligrapher's shoulder as s/he creates my 'look', lol!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations, Erin -- for both the book(s) sale and the gorgeous new name! I am also stressing about a name, if/when the time comes that I will need one. It seems the number of authors named Jennifer are multiplying exponentially and no one would be able to tell me from the others. Guess I'll just be like Scarlett for now, and think about it tomorrow. Congrats again! PS: I promise to follow the new you on Twitter!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like it! It feels very "you," plus the initials stay the same! Well played, Ms. Knightley!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Why thank you, Jennifer! Yes, I wouldn't fret about it until you have to. Between my agent and editor, a lot of names were shot down before we landed on the right one. It may be that your name is perfect, or it may be that your publisher will have something in mind for you. I for one love your name - very distinguished!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Erica, the initials were actually a big part of me feeling comfortable with the new name. I found I just wasn't an Erin R or and Erin C, lol! So glad you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it! It's perfect and you still get to be my EK:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Erin, it can be frustrating and fun to pick a new name, but you did a great job! I feel your pain, since we were going through it together, lol.... At first it felt so strange to think of someone calling me another name, but I am already used to it, and I love getting to choose my own identity. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay! It has been decided. And it is lovely, just like you.

    Congrats :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. It definitely felt right to still be EK, Kara :) Thanks to you and to Heather for being their for all my neurosis, loL! You guys rock!


    You know, Olivia, I feel like we've entered the witness protection plan or something, loL! Each of us choosing new names at the same time- who would have thought! Here's to making a name for ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the name- you definitely can't go wrong with dearest Jane as an inspiration. I use a form of my maiden name as a pen name because my married last name is Bligard, pronounced Bleegard. Mispronounced as Blygard, Bilgard, Blizzard, well, you get the idea. Besides, it is not very euphonious and I have used it for my scientific publications and wanted my novels to have a different name. Besides, I decided when I was 10 that C. Allyn Pierson would be my pen name when I was a famous writer. So much for famous, but at least I am a writer! Best of luck with "Erin Knightley" (and you won't even have to change your monogram!)

    ReplyDelete
  20. How cool is it that you've had your pen name picked out for so long, C. Allyn? It's a great name for a writer! Thanks so much for dropping by- I'll take your good luck wishes and wish the same for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. How DARE someone take your name! I like the new decision (anything to do with your agent?) Hmm?
    LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Exactly! The nerve of that woman using my name ;). Glad you like the new one!

    ReplyDelete